Monday, January 3, 2011

The New Sodom

After reading an article on Life-Site News, my admiration for Catholic actor, Jim Caviezel, who played Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ" has jumped another notch. In the article, he calls abortion ‘the greatest moral defect of the western world’. The interview was conducted in Spain recently where Caviezel is promoting his latest movie “The Stoning of Soraya M..” When asked by the publication Sembrar, “in your judgment, what is the greatest moral defect of the western world?”, Caviezel answered that it is abortion without any doubt. He commented on war and Attila the Hun (who vowed to kill not only men, but also women and children) saying, "He raised the bar to another level."

Regarding abortion, Caviezel said that it goes even further. It is against a woman's nature to kill her own child, so choosing to destroy the life within her is the limit. "The level cannot go higher regarding evil," He said. Caviezel even quoted abortion stats.

I didn't know that 50 million abortions was equal to one-fifth of our population - and is the number of deaths in WW II. It never occurred to me to make those comparisons. Oh, I'm sure he found those stats somewhere, but it proves he certainly knows his facts. He reminded the media the the demographic base keeps shrinking. One day there won't be enough young people to maintain the population AND euthanasia will be common.

Good for Jim Caviezel for speaking up! There isn't anyone else in Hollywood that I can think of who will do what he is doing. He lives his pro-life convictions too. Caviezel and his wife have adopted two children from China who had brain tumors.

What a tragedy that the Culture of Death has grown to this magnitude! Is this Sodom all over again? Can it be reversed? I think so, but it will take courage for many to speak up. Imagine if all the women who regret their abortions spoke out against it!

According to the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, "an estimated 43% of all women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old." That means that 43% of all women over the age of 45 have had an abortion - let's just say 4 out of every 10. According to the US 2010 census, the population of women between 45 and 75 is 49,547,987 - almost 50 million. If 43% of  these women have had an abortion, that's 21,305,634 women. If only half of these women regretted their abortion, that would be 10,652,817 women. And this number doesn't even include those women still of child-bearing age who have had an abortion they regret. Surely the voice of even 10 million women would resound in this nation.

We have refused to hear the cries of 50 million silenced babies. Would we also refuse to hear the cry of 10 million women?

It reminds me of the outcry of Abraham when God was ready to destroy Sodom.
Then the LORD said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomor'rah is great and their sin is very grave,  I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know."  So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom; but Abraham still stood before the LORD.  Then Abraham drew near, and said, "Wilt thou indeed destroy the righteous with the wicked?  Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt thou then destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it?  Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"  And the LORD said, "If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake."  Abraham answered, "Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes.  Suppose five of the fifty righteous are lacking? Wilt thou destroy the whole city for lack of five?" And he said, "I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there."  Again he spoke to him, and said, "Suppose forty are found there." He answered, "For the sake of forty I will not do it."  Then he said, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak. Suppose thirty are found there." He answered, "I will not do it, if I find thirty there."  He said, "Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord. Suppose twenty are found there." He answered, "For the sake of twenty I will not destroy it."  Then he said, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there." He answered, "For the sake of ten I will not destroy it."  And the LORD went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place. ~ Genesis 18:20-33
Abraham cried out to God to spare the city for the sake of even 10 righteous and God said He would. Aren't we the new Sodom? Surely God would spare us if 10 million wounded women found the courage to speak up against abortion and we listened.

Sadly, and I understand their dilemma, most women who have had an abortion don't speak out because they don't want others - either family members or friends - to know. To "expose" themselves would be yet another trauma. Post-abortive women fear the ridicule or rejection of others on top of the pain they already carry. It is a very lonely burden. I have been told it is a loneliness like no other. For most, the thought of making it public knowledge is unbearable.

We must pray for those post-abortive women as well as those thinking of having an abortion and for a change of heart for those who perform them.

No comments:

Post a Comment